Celebrated crime author-slash-entrepreneur Marcus Sakey joins me this week to talk about Ritual Zero Proof, the new company he launched in September.
Ritual Zero Proof makes totally delicious alcohol-free whiskey and gin, perfect for mixing into your favorite cocktail recipes! We sampled Old Fashioneds and Gin & Tonics as were parked outside Ritual HQ on Irving Park Road. Discussed this week:
- The four months since Ritual launch, and the insane speed everything’s been moving at.
- Bespoke Box’s role in my Ritual discovery.
- The birth of Ritual… in Marcus’s kitchen.
- We dared police to ask what we were doing.
- Can you drink Ritual beverages “neat?”
- Traditionally, creative people make terrible businessmen.
- I give an unpaid plug to Trader Joe’s Quinoa Cowboy veggie burgers.
- How did Marcus know when to stop iterating the initial versions of Ritual whiskey and gin?
- If you like fried chicken, you’ll love Ritual Zero Proof.
- When did Marcus know he had a legit business idea with Ritual?
- Millennials are totally down with the zero proof idea.
- The opportunity the “spirit alternative” category provides.
- Marcus’s literary career, and whether it runs in conflict with Ritual’s efforts.
- What does Marcus’s writing schedule look like?
- The future of Marcus’s books in Hollywood: “Will Smith is still interested.”
Car Con Carne is sponsored by C&H Financial Services