Graham Crabb and Mary Byker of the long-running Pop Will Eat Itself jump into the car before headlining the first night of Cold Waves VIII at Metro. Discussed on this episode:
- Everyone knows and has played with everyone else. Mary, in particular, is in Pigface and first became well-known for Gaye Bykers on Acid.
- The all-inclusive, un-pigeonholeable, sound of PWEI.
- The anniversary of PWEI’s “This is the Day… ” album. Mary: “I just realized what a really great record it was… it’s a genuinely overlooked, great record.”
- PWEI in the early 90s, and dealing with major labels.
- Graham is the only “through line” in the PWEI story.
- The ongoing role of technology in PWEI’s music.
- The importance of talking about suicide.
Car Con Carne is presented by the Autobarn Mazda of Evanston