Richard Patrick of Filter is an enduring rock hero and it was a thrill to chat with him before Filter headlined Cold Waves VIII at Metro in Chicago. Discussed in this episode:
- Has Richard always been accepted by the industrial scene?
- Discovering his music passion and trying to get signed in Ohio.
- Hooking up with Trent Reznor and joining Nine Inch Nails.
- The importance of playing Metro in Chicago.
- The 20-year anniversary of “Title of Record”
- The personal issues Richard faced during the “Title of Record” era: “I was fully drug-laden, absolutely exploring the realm of addiction.”
- Richard’s then-secret relationship with D’arcy Wretsky of Smashing Pumpkins.
- “Every single song on (Title of Record) is about (D’arcy).”
- The show that was cancelled in El Paso because of promised “Trump bashing.”
- Filter’s ongoing support for the troops and visits overseas.
- Was “The Amalgamut” where the wheels came off?
- The importance of “giving back” to people fighting addiction: “It’s completely possible to get sober… suicide is never an option.”
- The current political climate: “I’m getting angrier and angrier.”
- The fate of the PledgeMusic album, “ReBus.”
- Richard loves doing movie scores.
Car Con Carne is presented by the Autobarn Mazda of Evanston.