This week, I’m joined by my very funny colleagues Abe Kanan (WLUP-FM, Abe Kanan on Hold), Tim Virgin (WLUP-FM) and Bass (WLS-AM).
We ate at Chicago’s famous home of the breaded steak sandwich, Ricobene’s (252 W 26th St, Chicago, IL 60616). Abe and Bass are long-time customers; this was a first time for Tim and me.
We start out by putting the opening of the podcast on Facebook Live. I somehow launch it with a lightning effect that I can’t turn off. Long story short, lightning shot out of our eyes and sandwiches for the entire time we were on camera (“We look like superheroes; this is like our origin story”).
Also covered on this show:
- How should one eat a Ricobene’s steak sandwich? Abe: “By a sink, and you should be able to take your shirt off, too.”
- The shady Ricobene’s parking lot. As Bass said, “If you look to the left, you’ll see my car’s tires getting put on cinder blocks.”
- Abe and Bass’s incredible, built-on-timed-defecation, Fogo de Chao dining strategy
- My stage fright about going #2 in public
- Strategies for going #2 while at work
- Why does Abe have a gym membership? Bathroom access at all times.
- Abe’s master strategy for sanitizing public toilets
- The work of art that is the Burger King Farmhouse sandwich
- “Cleaning the beef machine”
- We kill the Facebook stream about 15 minutes in, and keep going. The conversation gets even more entertaining from there…
- Tim’s summary? “Best sandwich in the world”
- Thanksgiving recap: Ways turkey doesn’t suck and how I saved the day with pumpkin pie
- The pros of owning a Weber kettle grill
- The day the fire trucks had to respond to an emergency at my house
- My love of foam parties
- Tim’s recent surgery, and why it’s a miracle that he could even think about eating at Ricobene’s
- Abe: “Did you all take a Prilosec before we did this?”
- The maudlin mourning of celebrities on Facebook
- The extreme lack of interaction radio personalities (other than Tim Virgin) have with celebrities
- “Rest in glory, my brother!”
- What’s up with the dude walking by the car in army fatigues? Tim: “Everybody’s safe, I got my CCW license last week.”
- “What’s the most f-ed up thing you ever ate?” A PUFFIN?
- The sex appeal of the Boost Mobile-branded Mazda 3
- Why Abe and Bass dine like visitors to the “jerk-off booths” of old
- Our next destination as a foursome: Kaufman’s in Skokie